Woliczko moving on from Tech

Aaron Woliczko called it an offer he couldn’t refuse.

Citing an opportunity to move back to his home town, Woliczko officially resigned Tuesday as Montana Tech’s head men’s basketball coach after three seasons with the Orediggers.

Woliczko, 37, took a job in the private sector in Santa Cruz, Calif. He said he did it for his family. The coach and his wife Erica have a 4-year-old daughter, McKenna.

“My folks live there. My brother, my sister, my nieces and nephews. I’m really excited to have an opportunity financially to move back there,” Woliczko said Tuesday night. “I grew up two houses down from my grandma. I’d really love to be able to do that for my daughter, and that’s what we’re able to do.”

Woliczko came to Montana Tech after working as an assistant at Pacific, his alma mater.

The Orediggers steadily improved each of his three seasons as coach. Tech missed the playoffs this season, but the Orediggers 15-15 record was the best in recent years.

Woliczko said the decision was made toward the end of the season, which closed Saturday at Westminster College. He said it was a hard move to walk away from coaching.

“I’m getting out of basketball,” he said. “The company that I worked for straight out of college before I went to go play oversees has expanded exponentially. Now they’re a national force, and I’m getting an opportunity to come back basically as the leader of the sales and marketing team nationally.

“I’m getting a chance financially to support my family in a community that I never thought I’d be able to move back to. It was an offer I couldn’t refuse.”

Montana Tech also has an opening at athletic director. Joe McClafferty was the AD who hired Woliczko. He’s since moved up to take the job as President of the Montana Tech Foundation and Vice Chancellor for Development and University Relations.

“My resignation letter is in Joe’s mail box, but Joe is in Denver,” Woliczko said. “I actually met with Joe at his house on Sunday just to let him know face to face.”

McClafferty wasn’t available for comment tonight.

Woliczko will be in town for about another month. He said he’s going to make that time count.

“The moving company comes the 22nd of March,” he said. “One more St. Paddy’s Day in Butte.”