Dillon — Officials with the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest report a number of abandoned campfires have been found throughout the Forest recently.
While none of the fires grew, they are a concern, officials said.
Even though it has been a mild year so far for wildfires, people are advised to not become complacent when using fire outdoors as it only takes one spark or ember to start a wildfire in Southwest Montana.
Forest Service officials offer these tips for anyone spending time in the outdoors:
· NEVER walk away from a smoldering campfire, whether in a campground or elsewhere.
· ALWAYS make sure a fire is dead out. Mix water, earth, and embers and stir them until they’re cool enough to hold in your bare hand.
· Fireworks are not allowed on National Forests.
· Be careful where you park: catalytic converters can start fires on dry leaves, grass or needles under vehicles.
· Remember to bring along a shovel and bucket when you travel outdoors.
For more information, call the Forest Service in Dillon, Butte, Whitehall, Ennis, Sheridan, Wisdom, Wise River, Philipsburg, or Deer Lodge or go online to http://www.fs.usda.gov/bdnf.