Following a look back at Montana States’ win over Drake and a look ahead to the Bobcats’ home game against Saturday against Stephen F. Austin.
One week after earning a hard-fought win against Drake on the plains of Iowa, Montana State returns to friendly environs Saturday against a national FCS power. Montana State knows all about the Southland Conference after dropping a playoff tilt at Sam Houston State a season ago, and faces 23rd-ranked Stephen F. Austin on Saturday. The Lumberjacks’ explosive offense averages 419.5 yards and 24.5 first downs a game.
THIS WEEK’S GAME
KICKOFF: 1:35 pm
STADIUM: Bobcat Stadium
RADIO: Bobcat Radio Network (Tyler Wiltgen, Dan Davies)
TELEVISION: Max Media (Chris Byers, Mike Callaghan)
• Stephen F. Austin marks Montana State’s second opponent in its last four games from the state of Texas – the Bobcats’ 2011 season ended in Huntsville, as SFA’s league rival Sam Houston State toppled MSU in the FCS Playoffs
• Rob Ash’s 41 wins at Montana State brings him to within six of becoming the Bobcats’ all-time wins leader (47, Sonny Holland), which would give him the distinction of topping the all-time wins list at three different schools
• MSU snapped Drake’s 11-game home winning streak last Saturday
• Rob Ash’s win at Drake Stadium last week raised his record to 83-20-1 in that building
BIG SKY BULLET POINTS
• So far in 2012, Big Sky teams have wins over the Pac 12 (Sac State beat Colorado), Mountain West (NAU topped UNLV), and WAC (Eastern Washington beat Idaho)
• MSU and North Dakota are the only league teams to top 30 points twice in 2012
2012 MSU SCHEDULE
Aug 30 — Chadron State, W, 33-6
Sep 8 — at Drake, W, 34-24
Sep 15 — Stephen F. Austin, 1:35 p.m.
Sep 22 — *Northern Colorado, 2:05 p.m
Sep 29 — *at Southern Utah, 1:35 p.m.
Oct 6 — *at UC Davis, 5:05 p.m. MT
Oct 13 — *Eastern Wash., 1:35 p.m.
Oct 27 — *North Dakota, 2:05 p.m.
Nov 3 — *at Sacramento St, 5:05 p.m. MT
Nov 10 — *Portland State, 1:35 p.m.
Nov 17 — *at Montana, 1:35 p.m.
• After dropping his first three night games at MSU, Rob Ash has led the Cats to night wins in two straight weeks
• MSU is 2-0 for the first time since 1999
• DeNarius McGhee has started – and completed a touchdown pass in – each of his first 27 games as a Bobcat
• Montana State’s 10 consecutive winning seasons is the most in school history, and back-to-back campaigns of at least nine victories is also a program high-water mark
• Montana State has won 10 straight games under Rob Ash when holding an opponent to single-digits scoring
• DeNarius McGhee‘s 52 career TD passes is 4th in Bobcat history
• Rob Ash’s 41st win moves him into a tie with Cliff Hysell for second in school history, and is now within six of the school record of 47 held by Sonny Holland, who spends each game on the MSU sideline
• DE Preston Gale logged three tackles and a sack at Drake
• LB Jody Owens led a stout MSU defense in the second half Saturday, finishing with 12 tackles, one for a loss
• RB Tray Robinson gained 52 yards on five carries Saturday, including an enormous 30-yard TD run that gave MSU the lead early in the fourth quarter
— MSU Sports Information