Butte High beat Bozeman in a 38-36 classic Friday night in the Class AA State championship football game at Naranche Stadium.
It was the first Bulldog title since 1991, and throughout that championship run we heard a lot of lines that started or ended with “For the first time since 1991.”
Many members from the 1991 squad were at the game Friday, cheering on the Butte boys.
Butte High went undefeated in 1991, but the Bulldogs rewrote the offensive record book this year.
So, we couldn’t help but ask the question. If the teams played each other, which team would win?
Vote in the poll below.
[poll id=”8″] 5 comments
#66November 19, 2012, 4:05 pm
I was in the stands Friday and the experience changed my life. Congratulations to the ’12 State Champs on a remarkable year. That said, my case for ’91 is as follows:REPLY
* Wins vs. Losses
* Depth – The ’91 Team did not have a single starter play both Offense and Defense. The 22 man roster was made up of 22 Men!
* Balance – ’91 Team broke offensive records similar to ’12 but they also broke defensive records. The Defense was dominant, throwing multiple shutouts.
* Speed – The ’91 team was faster than every opponent. In fact, I recall 4 members of the ’91 team breaking the 4X100 relay records and placing 2nd at State in the Spring of ’92 (Smitham, Farren, Galetti and Paffhausen)
* Strength – ’91 pushed every opponent (save the Capital Bruins, who they beat twice but proved to be the ’91 Dogs only worthy opponent) around the field at will.
* Other measures will develop over time (# of 1st Team All State, # Playing College Football, etc) but the best part of this comparison is that we are having it. Way to go ’12!
* PS – ’91’s kicker wasn’t a kicker either, he was a LB (Ben Racicot). That’s how us Butte Boys roll.
hendrix2197November 19, 2012, 5:46 pm
Want to enter the 2012 team into SAT (second and ten) which is a very
accurate football simulator we have all the stats needed minus sacks
which can be estimated the AA stats are available via the Glacier
website. The stats from 91′ probably not available.
We may never know but think the 91 team would not give up 30 pts how many of the 91 defensive players played College ball? You’re talking a great defensive team with high football IQ’s. Also think the 91 team could control clock and run the ball.
Both great teams in different eras.REPLY
Digger prideNovember 19, 2012, 8:21 pm
Although it may be fun to compare I don’t think now is the time or place to be asking this question as both are great champions. Lets savor the moment and enjoy one of the greatest football games ever played.REPLY
AlbertNovember 22, 2012, 8:23 am
I think they both could have beaten any team out of the SEC…that fraudulent conference…REPLY
Ok I digress.
I hear the ’91 team was awesome. A great defense vs. A great offense. However, did the the ’91 teams face offenses as complex? Sure they defended everyone extremely well, but what did they see. I equate it to how everyone says how AMAZING the SEC defenses are even though they don’t play against any legitimate QBs except maybe 1 a year, load up against the run and act like they are these superb defense. They are not.
So I was just wondering what the teams were like…of course according to all who saw the ’91 team they could seriously “D” you up.
A look back at Bulldog title run - ButteSports.comNovember 22, 2012, 12:49 pm
[…] 1991 Bulldogs vs. 2012 Bulldogs […]REPLY